Compiled by The National Gallery of Australia
This gorgeously vivid puzzle book includes ten 16-piece jigsaw puzzles works of art from the National Gallery of Australia’s Indigenous Australian art collection.
Our Land encourages children to develop a greater understanding of the interconnectedness of nature; it’s animals, it’s plants, and the relationship people have with them. The book introduces a variety of Indigenous perspectives through art, sampling both traditional and contemporary styles.
While reading this book and completing the puzzles, children are encouraged to identify people, animals, shapes, and colours.
Artists’ works included in Our Land:
- Danie Mellor - Mamu, Ngagen, Ngajan peoples
- Ginger Riley Munduwalawala - Mara people
- Harry Tjutjuna - Pitjantjatjara people
‘Wanna Tjukurpa’ (Spiderman)
- Colin Walangari Karntawarra McCormack - Arrernte, Luritja, Walpiri, Yankuntjatjarra, Pintubi, Anmatjerre, Alyawarre peoples
‘Witchetty Grub and Honey Ant Dreamings’
- Ian W Abdulla - Ngarrindjeri people
‘Sowing Seeds at Nite’
- Treahna Hamm - Yorta Yorta people
- Brian Robinson - Kala Lagan Ya people
‘ As the Rains Fell and the Seas Rose’
- Mona Jukuna Chuguna & Pijaju Peter Skipper - Walmajarri people
‘ Jamirlangu’ (husband and wife)
- Pantjiti Mary McLean - Ngaatjatjarra people
‘Palanga: that’s all’
- Gertie Huddleston - Wandarang, Mara peoples
‘We All Share Water’
Format: Large Board Book (Puzzle)
Recommended Age: 3 - 12 years